Wednesday, September 10, 2008

UK & Ireland Odyssey

4,000kms later, I can say Kristen & I have comprehensively explored the British Isles and Ireland. The next few entries will deal with my last few weeks of travel, driving around the UK from South to North, then through Northern Ireland, down the West Coast of Ireland, another ferry to Wales, and back to London via Cardiff and Stonehenge (see map).

Many people have asked me "Why Britain & Ireland? Your usual travels are in far-flung areas the rest of the world hasn't seen!". In response, all I can say is that having insufficiently visited these lovely locations previously, there was plenty to see and do, and it was a fascinating journey through times and places that have had such an impact on the modern world.

I would also add that some parts of the UK & Ireland have a little more in common than you might think with some of my earlier adventures. Incomprehensible local languages and dialects, occasionally inedible food, hostile weather, and long road journeys made a lasting impression on both of us.